How to write a book about your life in 10 easy steps
Everyone has an interesting and amazing life story. Many people want to share their personal story to provide some inspiring and thought-provoking experiences. Whether traveling the world, meeting movie stars, or celebrating success, each person has an incredible life story.
However, writing about yourself is one of the most powerful ways to capture the important moments in your life. The fact is that writing a book is also a daunting task. You must share your experience in a compelling story. This means that you should write your life full of suspense, real experiences and fascinating moments.
However, writing and publishing a book is certainly a different process than writing a novel or a story about someone else.
What you should keep in mind is that your book is important. You will write your story. So it's your life and your legacy. His book will be read by his generations and he will tell them about his struggle in real life.
Write the story on yourPersonal lifeis a valuable and vulnerable way ofWrite. This is a story about you, instead of building a fictional character, talk about the real life story.
If you know the impressive true story but don't know where to start and wonder how to write a book about her life, read this blog.
These are the steps to write an interesting book about your life;
- Start writing with free writing or writing in a journal
- draw your notes
- Choose the nonfiction genre for the assignments
- precision search
- Recognize perspective and characters.
- add speculation
- design the environment
- Think about your dialogue
- Ready for negative retracement
- Commit to Graduation
Reasons to write a story or book about your life
Most people think they have to do something to become famous, so they start talking about their lives. But this is not correct.
"The main reason you write about your life is compelling because you have a compelling story. Everyone has something valuable to share that can transform many people's lives through their trials and tribulations."
One of the main reasons for writing a book about your life is to give you a better understanding of who you are.
- You leave a legacy to your family
- Finding similarities with others gives people a clue to lead a healthy and happy life.
- Storytelling is the basic form of communication and avoids the feeling of loneliness.
- Telling your real life story provides direction and helps you achieve your goal.
- It reconnects you with the real person you have inside.
Do you know what an autobiography is?
Autobiographyit has been one of the most popular genres for centuries. It is easy to write the book about the life of the author or a biography written by himself. The author shares all his life experiences, obstacles, achievements and puts all these things together in a framework to draw readers into his life stories. And give a motivating and inspiring message to face future problems.
* Different types of autobiographies:
If you want to write a book about your life, you need to know different types of autobiographies. There are 6 main types of autobiographies. Of this type of autobiographies, you can choose the one that best fits your concept.
- complete autobiography
- personal essay
- Mental illness
- overcome adversity
1) Complete Autobiography
This autobiographical type revolves around the entire life story from the moment of birth to the present. It gives a true insight into the author's life and tells how his life differs from that of others.
It focuses on specific time, relationship, and place. It emphasizes the most important part of life. Whether in childhood or in everything that formed you as a person.
3) Personal essay
It is the oldest form of autobiographical writing. It is the most intimate form of writing compared to other types. A personal essay does not focus on the story but on the style and tone.
4) mental illness
A type of writing where the author suffers from some kind of mental health and sees book writing as something therapeutic. This story helps readers to overcome their problems.
5) Overcome adversity
Not everyone lives a satisfying life. Many face terrible problems and situations, for example, kidnapping, murder, accident, etc. Sharing these stories can inspire others and also help them articulate their feelings and emotions for healing.
This life story is written by people who have made mistakes and find comfort in talking about their mistakes. The motive behind this is to teach lessons, help readers solve their problems, and give them hope to engage with a real life story.
Key points to write a book about yourself
“And by the way, everything in life can be described if you have an open mind, the courage and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy of creativity is doubt” – Sylvia Path
Writing a book sounds like a daunting task, but it's similar to starting any project. Anyone who wants to know how to write a book about her life needs to get rid of all imagination and know exactly what they want to do. To achieve the goal of writing a book, you must base yourself on the five main points listed below;
First you need to ask yourself what you want to write, so write some questions. Then give your answers. Answering the question will help you start writing the book. This will give you an idea of the structure and let you know how to get started.
- What is your goal and vision for writing books?
- Who is your target audience?
- Are you going to write a book about your work? Do you prefer a trainer or an editor?
- release planned?
- How much time do you invest in writing the book?
After planning to write a book, this is the point where you need to thoroughly investigate its context.
- You can make a list of important events in your life.
- Create the outline of your book, for example B. Introduction, Preface, Chapter, etc.
- Summarize each section of your outline.
- Gather the best writing tools like research material, laptop, sticky notes.
- set your time
- Set the best time to write
It is the main part of taking your book to the skies through brainstorming or brainstorming.Creating a mind map. This outline will help you stay focused on your process and avoid distractions. This step allows you to focus on the most interesting part of your life. If you're wondering why you need mind maps, read below about the benefits of mind maps for writing books about your life.
- It helps you organize your thoughts and plan well.
- It helps to emphasize the natural strands.
- It helps create a story structure.
- Make sure you don't forget anything
- It helps strengthen the theme of your book.
Commitment is a tricky word, as some people find it easier to do their daily tasks well. This helps them maintain discipline while writing the book. As a writer, commitment is the most important thing that will help you achieve your goals in writing books about your life. To do this, follow the things mentioned below;
- Connect with the place
- Get involved in the process
- Commit to your time
When writing a book about your life, passion is the only thing that gives you the stamina to keep writing your book. It just gives you more dedication and continued passion up to the point you see your story in print. You must remember that "passion is the only thing that leads you to success".
"People with passion can change the world for the better" -Steve Jobs
How do you write the book about yourself?
Do you know what is the most difficult thing in life? He looks inside of us. Today, almost everyone investigates the lives of others, instead of taking a look at themselves.
The first rule of thumb when it comes to writing yourself is to immerse yourself in the honest and real part of your life. You need to gather a single piece of information and take a look at yourself.
When it comes to real life stories, no one wants a book that deals with rainbows and sunlight, because they are based on fictional stories. Before you write a book about your life or autobiography, you also need to knowwhat is memorymihow to write it. This makes the book writing process quite simple and easy.
However, it is quite easy to write a memory. Below is an overview of the memories.
– What are memories?
It is not an autobiography, simply, a memoir is not the story of a lifetime. It is the slice of life or a short story of your life with a great message. Therefore, before writing your book, after writing, give a deep understanding of how to write a book about your life.
A memoir may cover one facet of a writer's life, while an autobiography presents a continuing part of the writer's life. However, there is an idea of how to cover the interesting facts and figures throughout the book from him.
Some steps to write a book about your life:
- Decide if you are ready to write a book about your life
- Spend some time self-assessment
- Focus on the specific event you want to share
- make mind maps
- Put all these ideas together to create your book outline
To your relief, please read the guidelines below to outline your amazing life.
Image source:my perfect words
Difference between memoirs and autobiography.
|It is about the specific moment, experience and place in a person's life.||It is about the whole life of an author.|
|You can write at any time.||It is usually written later in life.|
|It can be written chronologically and will also change over time if necessary.||It should be written in chronological order from the day of birth to the present.|
|Memoir pays more attention to personal emotional experiences, feelings and thoughts.||The autobiography emphasizes the historical content and the facts.|
Tips for writing a true story
Writing true stories is not an easy task. It takes struggle, effort, and time to transform real-life situations in interesting ways. To please readers, true stories must be crafted in a complicated and compelling style. For this reason, many authors recommend reviewing a memoir before writing an autobiography.
Here are some things to know when writing the true story;
- Make it nonfiction, more like a memoir.
- If you prefer an autobiography, try writing it in chronological order.
- Make sure your story covers the true elements of your entire life.
- Are you looking for a fiction book about a specific period of your life?
It is recommended that you do not write a non-fiction book about your life. The reason is that your true personality may fallan archetypal character.Which means impeccable character.
Sometimes this happens because it's hard to keep an open mind. But if you're writing the real story, create a character with real flaws. This is the best advice when writing a book about your life.
Key components to writing a book about your life
People often think about what are the main components of writing a book about their life. So here you are reading the 5 essential gears to writing a book about yourself.
You can start writing a description of your life. Start writing from birth that makes sense and is easy to understand. You can also give some family history. Make sure your story is chronological. However, it is not necessary to provide an annual description. It is good to focus on the main events of your life. For guidance, see Dylan Thomas's book Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Each chapter in this book is simply a brief description of different moments that happen in different periods of time.
- Meaning of life
In this component, you need to talk about your perspective on what life means to you. You can write about your life and mention how you perceive life. Also, talk about whether you are happy or enjoying life. Let your readers know how you motivate yourself and how you spend your time. This is the real time to communicate how you feel, your points to live a meaningful and enjoyable life.
- Self appraisal
Writing about your life first requires self-assessment. Make sure you don't mention false information about yourself. Self-assessment develops the connection between readers and writers. So it certainly helps you engage your readers. It helps you make your story more engaging and interesting.
- Future vision
The fourth thing to consider is the talk about the afterlife. He tells her how he sees his future, what predictions he made for his future, and what he plans for the future.
End your story with a conclusion. It is necessary to summarize everything discussed above. Say a few words and explain why you are writing a book about your life. It reminds you if you achieved the goal of writing your book.
10 easy steps to write a book about your life
Once you figure out what you want to share with the whole world but don't know how to make it happen. So this reading is designed to properly teach you how to write and publish a book about your life.
1) Start writing by freewriting or writing in a journal
Set aside a few minutes each day for free trials. You can even keep a journal and focus on the commemorative moments. This just helps you start your book writing session. Remember thisgood writing advicejournaling or freewriting is one of the most important ways to write about the 24 hours of your life. Memoirs written at the time of an important life moment are used to build the nonfiction narrative.
Even if you don't use that particular memory in your storytelling, the habit of jotting down memories will certainly help you as a writer, and it will also help you keep all those memories fresh.
2) Summarize your notes
When you have countless written memoirs, whether they are part of an essay or an overarching narrative, they need to be neatly organized. This is the time when you need to systematize all your memories into a coherent story for actual writing.
When you write your life story, the plot of your book will eventually become linguistically available. It just needs to be written and structured in a style that connects with your audience.
Those who are not the "pants" that other writers resemble and who are organized writers are sure to correctly track down the memories they want to add to their life story. It surely helps you get amazing writing juices.
Describing the book writing process will help you get the perfect idea and order for the book. In addition, it will help you recruitwrite goalsand improve yours toowriting habitsbecome a fast typist. Remember, these are the two writing goals necessary to create a quality book.
3) Select a Nonfiction Genre for Assignments
Did you know that "creative nonfiction has become the most popular genre in the literary and publishing world"? However, there are a number of non-fiction genres such as memoirs, essay collections, autobiographies, motivational books, etc.
Usually, when you write a book about your life, it seems like you could fit it into the memoir genre, but it's not the same in every case. So when choosing your nonfiction genre, pay attention to the category your book falls into, whether it's a memoir or an autobiography.
However, autobiographies tend to be more objective than creative ones. Memories are just the specific period of your time.
Sometimes you don't focus on a specific moment and you don't want to share your whole life story. So this time a collection of lyrical and personal essays might suit your style perfectly. Personal essays are similar to the nonfiction version of short stories.
Be sure to choose the best nonfiction genre for a book about your life.
4) Look for precision
After free writing or sketching, only research is the best element that will help you create a more complete life story. It also helps you become a reliable writer.
Everyone knows that memories are dark and no one remembers the whole situation correctly, especially when you start writing a book about your life.
Still, researching the book is a daunting task. To learn more about real life events, it's important to do more research.
Here are some interesting tips for research when writing a book about your life:
- Make a list of the facts and memories you are not sure about.
- Ask your family or friends about these events
- You can get important quotes from these people if your writing requires it.
- If you find something you need to look for while typing, you can write it down and keep typing to type faster.
5) Know your perspective and characters
The fact is that every human being is influenced in different ways by another human being. And it also has a huge impact on how you write a book about your life story.
Interesting tips for shaping your characters for your storybook:
- Make a list of people or characters to include in the story.
- Type a description of the person you choose, such as appearance, background, age
- Also keep in mind the relationship, whether close or distant.
- You can check this toovarious character bio templatesthat help to specify the details
The clues will help describe your narrative with the ruler."Show, don't tell". This helps readers to visualize the characters and also how their target audience is influenced by their personality.
What you need to change are the real names of the characters.
6) Add speculation
Speculations need to be added to fill in the gaps in a book about his life. It is important to understand what isspeculation. If the memory of your event seems a bit hazy, use speculation. If you use what you know, you need to combine it with the research you do to find out as much as possible.
Stitch to discover the creative methods of speculation. Be sure to speak in a style that shows you are telling the real story. You need to know how to hypothesize about something that may be a mystery to you.
You can use phrases like perhaps and perhaps to show the reader that you are speculating.
7) Design the environment
Remember, your readers are always curious about where your story took place. The most important thing you should knowHow to build your storylike a made up story. When it comes to settings, you need to focus on the basic definition of your setting, that is, the place and time of your story. However, when creating your story, there are several different elements to consider, including:
- Geographic Location (City, Country, State)
- Physical environment (weather conditions, weather situation)
- Period (time of day, year, historical event, present)
- Physical location (hall, station, temple)
- Cultural environment (beliefs of certain groups, influencers, traditions)
- Social environment (aspects of human activity)
For you, here are some relevant questions to write a book about your life:
- What are the benchmarks of your picture book setup?
- Do you fill out your character profile?
- What type of housing do most people live in?
- Did you focus on the only point of view?
- Did you mention where your story takes place?
- How much time do the characters spend in your story?
8) Think about your dialogue
One of the most important steps in writing a book about your life is to think about your dialogue. When writing nonfiction, dialogue crafting is crucial. You must know the good tips to write engaging and engaging dialogues; otherwise your book will end up as a boring textbook.
"Dialogues bring your story to life."
Yes, writing accurate dialogue is a challenge. You can also write dialogues withdialog format.You can also use a dictaphone and video recorder to record your conversation verbatim to remember past actions.
9) Ready for negative retracement
Not everyone has sweet stories, some of us face the dark side. Many people today are facing the scandalous true story and want to share it with the other side of the world. You must prepare for the negative reaction of the world.
When writing a story like this about your life, you have to be prepared for negative actions from your readers. Nonfiction isn't dimmed in reality, but it still gets negative feedback. But some of them react simply because they are also written in their life story.
10) Commit to Close
You don't have to be limited to the first draft of your story, publish it to give other people life experiences and motivate them to live a better life. You don't have to commit to a book, you have to commit to doing something amazing with your life that you can be proud of.
You have to commit to the things that should be here when you're gone.
show all blogs
What are the 10 steps to writing a book? ›
- Brainstorm. If you've decided to write a novel, you've probably been inspired by a story idea. ...
- Start Developing Characters. ...
- Decide on a Point of View. ...
- Outline. ...
- Decide on Your Ending. ...
- Start Writing Your First Draft. ...
- Take a Break, and Then Come Back. ...
- Write Your Second Draft.
- Establish a consistent writing space.
- Hone in on your book idea.
- Outline your story.
- Do your research.
- Start writing and stick to a routine.
- Finish your first draft.
- Revise and edit.
- Write your second draft.
- Develop a writer's mindset.
- Create a book writing space.
- Choose your book writing software.
- Determine your book's topic.
- Create a book outline.
- Finish writing your manuscript.
- Edit your book.
- Choose a compelling book cover.
The short answer is yes.
Everybody who ever wrote their first book did so with no experience of writing a book. Think about that… As long as you are willing to learn, humble enough to know your writing isn't perfect, and disciplined enough to continue working on honing your creative writing skills, you can do it.
- Title page. The title page contains the title of the book, the subtitle, the author or authors, and the publisher.
- Copyright page. ...
- Dedication. ...
- Table of contents. ...
- Foreword. ...
- Acknowledgments. ...
- Preface or Introduction. ...
- State your theme. ...
- Begin with a strange detail. ...
- Establish your character's voice. ...
- Introduce your narrative style. ...
- Convey the stakes. ...
- Set the scene.
While it takes more than a week to create a standout book, focusing on efficient writing techniques can help you speed up the process and meet your goals in a timely manner. In fact, sometimes the faster you write the better the process goes.How do I tell my life story? ›
- Discuss a difficult time in your life, and how you overcame it. ...
- Talk about a funny moment, that changed the way you think and feel about something. ...
- Share something you learned during your career that changed the trajectory of your gifts.
By writing the stories from your life you help yourself form a clearer understanding of who you are and how you got to where you are. You learn about yourself, and often bring closure to issues. Treat yourself to the experience.What do I write first in a book? ›
Outline the story. You don't have to structure it as a rollercoaster, but your outline should look something like this. If you want to write a great story, you need to outline it first.
How many pages should a book be? ›
When wondering how many pages a book should be, it is notable that the average book length is between 200-400 pages. With this in mind, what considerations should be taken when deciding how long a book should be? Check comparable titles. Go to a bookstore and find your book's genre.How hard is it to write a book? ›
Writing a book is hard.
Many people don't write a book because it's extremely hard. Forcing yourself to sit down, brainstorm, write, edit, rewrite, edit, cut, add, rewrite, workshop, rewrite, and rewrite some more until you've got somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 words is grueling work. Most can't do it.
Unless you're a born novelist, try your hand at non-fiction first. Not only do you get to start from a place of passion and familiarity, but you also have the market on your side. It's easier to write, sell, and promote. Non-fiction has a bigger market for both traditionally published books and self-published books.How do I know if I can write a book? ›
- You're frustrated with the current information available (and others are, too).
- You see people making avoidable mistakes.
- The idea is too big for a blog post.
- You have enough well-researched information to flesh out a book.
- You just start writing.
Professional writers use a variety of apps to write their novels. Scrivener, MS Word, Final Draft, Google Docs, Plottr — there are so many great apps that bestselling writers use for their writing process.What goes at the end of a book? ›
An epilogue is the final segment of a story and effectively serves as one final chapter. An afterword is a statement on the entire narrative, and it is frequently told from a different perspective and period of time.How many words is a first book? ›
If you're writing your first novel, the general rule of thumb for novel writing is a word count in the 80,000 to 100,000 range. While anything over 40,000 words can fall into the novel category, 50,000 is considered the minimum novel length. Anything over 110,000 words is considered too long for a fiction novel.What are the first words of a book called? ›
An author's prefatory remarks that explain the object and scope of what follows are usually titled "Preface," which is appropriate since the word preface comes from Latin praefari, meaning "to say beforehand." For works of literature, prefaces can sometimes be extended essays, such as those of Henry James and George ...What not to do when writing a book? ›
- Beginning the story too early. Many writers start their stories before the interesting part. ...
- Leaving out the plot. ...
- Letting the characters off too easily. ...
- Being unwilling to make things up. ...
- Muddying point of view. ...
- Rushing. ...
- Using incorrect format. ...
- Playing it safe.
- Set aside proper, regular time to write. ...
- Don't expect your words to come out perfectly straight away. ...
- Loosen up your writing and relax. ...
- Explore your ideas. ...
- Ask yourself 'what if' questions. ...
- Get to know your characters. ...
- Alternate between plotting and writing. ...
- Work out your structure.
What should a first chapter do? ›
- Putting your reader into the world (location/setting/time period)
- Posing a question the reader wants to get an answer for (create mystery or intrigue)
- Introducing the main character.
- Setting the mood.
- Kickstarting the plot development (your inciting incident)
Chris Fox has written a book in as little as thirteen days, reaching speeds of up to 5,000 words an hour. John Boyne wrote The Boy in the Striped Pajamas in two and a half days.What is the longest book to write? ›
This is a list of published novels with over 500,000 words. Currently, the longest novel in the world is Venmurasu, a modern setting of the Hindu epic Mahabharatha, finished in 2020 by Tamil writer Bahuleyan Jeyamohan which has over 2,300,000 words.How many pages of a book should I write daily? ›
A good goal for many professional writers is to turn out five to ten pages a day during a four or five day work week. On average, a page equals 250 words set in 12 point Times New Roman. Assume you write 1250 words a week or 5,000 words a month. You would produce about 60,000 words in a year.What are the 4 rules of writing? ›
- USE SHORT SENTENCES.
- USE SHORT FIRST PARAGRAPHS.
- USE VIGOROUS ENGLISH.
- BE POSITIVE, NOT NEGATIVE.
- Image credit: rarelibrary.com.
- Exposition. This is your book's introduction, where you introduce your characters, establish the setting, and begin to introduce the primary conflict of your story. ...
- Rising Action. ...
- Climax. ...
- Falling Action. ...
The general steps are: discovery\investigation, prewriting, drafting, revising, and editing.How do you tell a tell a story? ›
- Choose a clear central message. A great story usually progresses towards a central moral or message. ...
- Embrace conflict. ...
- Have a clear structure. ...
- Mine your personal experiences. ...
- Engage your audience. ...
- Observe good storytellers. ...
- Narrow the scope of your story.
So, how long does it take to write a memoir? Generally speaking, it is appropriate to think that a memoir-writing project for a book 200- to 300-pages long would take two to three years—or less.What is a personal life story? ›
“A life story is, simply, a person's story of his or her life or what he or she thinks is a significant part of that life.” Titon goes on to state that personal narrative arises from conversation.
How do you start a story example? ›
- Strategy 1: Begin with action or dialogue. ...
- Strategy 2: Ask a question. ...
- Strategy 3: Describe the setting. ...
- Strategy 4: Begin with background information. ...
- Strategy 5: Have the main character introduce himself or herself.
Whether for yourself or for others, if you have a clear purpose for writing your memoir, then it's a story worth sharing. If you've reflected on your life and you're passionate about communicating what you've learned with the world, then your memoir is worth writing.Is it healthy to write about your life? ›
Did you know that writing about yourself can benefit your physical and mental health? It may sound strange – but multiple scientific studies have shown that the simple act of putting pen to paper reduces the risk of depression and other illnesses.What are the stages of writing a book? ›
- Prewriting. You're ready to start writing. ...
- Writing. Now you have your plan and you're ready to start writing. ...
- Revision. Your story can change a great deal during this stage. ...
- Editing. You have overhauled your story. ...
- Publishing. ...
- Learn More.
- Identify the focus of your short story. ...
- Start writing. ...
- Write a compelling beginning. ...
- Create a powerful ending. ...
- Read your story out loud. ...
- Edit and revise. ...
- Ask for feedback.
On average, a first-time writer can take up to 6-12 months to write a book, unless you use our 90-day book writing system. The typical timeline to write a book is between 4 to 8 months otherwise. How long it takes to write a book largely depends on how much time the writer puts into actually writing it, though.